Welcome to ACTION
(Area Christians Taking Initiative on Needs)!
Engaging Christians in service to transform their communities.
Connecting Christian volunteers with local agencies to meet community needs and bring about positive community transformation. Primary focuses are seniors, disabled residents, under-resourced families, the homeless population and at-risk youth.
Who We Are
- ACTION is a NETWORK of churches all across Ventura County.
- We assist volunteers by quickly connecting them to serve those in need in our community.
- Participating agencies give us valuable insights into areas where Christian volunteers can play an important role helping to meet the most pressing needs.
- ACTION acts as a CATALYST to help raise awareness of needs in our community
- Everything we do starts only as God stirs Christians to put their faith into action and live out the teachings of Jesus Christ by serving others in need.
- We encourage you to embark on an amazing journey of compassion and service as a representative of God, completely chosen and equipped to run under the Banner of Jesus Christ. ACTION is here to help you on this journey.
- Christ-centered – We follow the person and example of Jesus.
- Unifying – Christians outside denominational boundaries and paradigms participate together.
- Resourceful – We bring people, agencies, and funds together to meet needs.
- Practical – We aim our efforts at real needs that have tangible results.
- Compassionate – We reach out to individuals and families to meet physical, emotional, and spiritual needs.
- Catalytic – We seek to birth collaborations and initiatives that will have long-term effectiveness both locally and globally.
Why We Do What We Do:
1 John 4:11 – Because God Loves Us…
“Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another… if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
Isaiah 61:1 (read by Jesus in Luke 4:16-21) – Because we follow Christ’s example…
“The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has anointed me to bring good news to the afflicted; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to captives, and freedom to prisoners, to proclaim the favorable year of the Lord.”
Galatians 5:22 – Because the Holy Spirit lives in us…
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”
1 John 3:16 – Because actions speak louder than words…
“This is how we know what love is; Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.”
Isaiah 58:6-8 – Because acts of love heal our community…
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter? When you see the naked, to clothe him, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.”
Matthew 25:35 – Because we see Christ in others…
“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.”
Deuteronomy 10:17 – Because we have also been strangers in need…
“For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes. He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing. And you are to love those who are aliens, for you yourselves were aliens in Egypt.”
Galatians 6:10 – Because we have the opportunity…
“So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people.”
James 2:15-17 – Because “faith in action” is alive…
“Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, ‘Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed,’ but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by actions, is dead.”